Italian stuffed aubergine with Mexican salsa verde – a fusion recipe. Salsa verde is a type of spicy, green sauce in Mexican cuisine based on tomatillo and green chili peppers. Tomatillos – these are green-skinned, slightly acidic fruit with an appearance similar to tomatoes, but they have a much different flavor from tomatoes.
Ingredients for 4 portions
|2||Nos||Aubergines halved (400gms)|
|0.05||Lit||Extra-virgin olive oil|
|0.02||Kg||Chopped fresh basil|
|0.025||Kg||Parmesan – grated|
|0.01||Kg||Black pepper powder|
- Using a spoon, hollow out aubergines, leaving about a 1/2-inch-thick border around the skin to create a boat.
- Transfer to baking dish. Roughly chop scooped-out aubergine flesh.
- In a large skillet – heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped aubergine & season with oregano, salt, & pepper. Cook, until golden & tender
- Add garlic, transfer mixture to a bowl & add tomatoes,100g of mozzarella & remaining marinara.
- Scoop into aubergine boats. Top with remaining mozzarella, Parmesan & bread crumbs.
- Bake until aubergines are tender and cheese is golden. Garnish with basil
- Serve with salsa Verde – Mexican dip