-1 cup sugar
-1/2 cup cornstarch
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 tablespoon almond extract
-1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
-3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-3 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 cup milk
-11/2 tablespoons red raspberry jam or apricot jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour one 9×13 inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add egg and almond extract; mix well. Stir in butter until mixture is crumbly.
3. Add 3 1/2 cups of the flour and the baking powder; mix well. Gradually add milk until mixture forms a soft dough.
4. Spread dough in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with raspberry jam or apricot jam.
5. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.