Yield: 2 portions
Unsalted butter – 1/4 lb.
Fresh rosemary – 2 large sprigs, divided
Whole chicken – 2 1/2 lb.
Salt, pepper – to taste
Oil 3 Tbsp – divided
Shallots – minced 2
Chicken stock – 2 cups
Coarse cornmeal – 1 cup
Cheddar cheese – grated 1/2 cup
Heavy cream, optional – 1/4 cup
- Soften butter with hands; incorporate leaves from 1 sprig rosemary.
- Insert rosemary butter under skin of chicken, covering breasts and thighs. Truss bird; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in saute pan. Place bird in pan and sear on all sides until golden brown. Add remaining rosemary butter to pan for basting.
- Place pan with bird backside down in 500F oven. Baste every 10 minutes for 45 minutes or until juices from thigh run clear. Remove from oven. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Add remaining oil to small saucepan. Over medium heat saute shallots until soft but not brown. Add stock; bring to boil. Slowly whisk in cornmeal; cook, stirring for 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese. Add cream if desired.
- Slice chicken. Portion on plates. Add grits; garnish with rosemary leaves.