Yield: 4 servings
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Extra-large egg yolks – 5
Unsweetened coconut milk – 1/2 cup
Pineapple, peeled, cored, pureed – 1/2 cup
Dark rum – 1 Tbsp.
Frozen puff pastry, thawed – 2 sheets
Confectioners’ sugar – 2 Tbsp.
Medium pineapples, peeled, quartered, cored and cut into 1 1/2-x-1/4-in. thick wedges – 1 1/2
Fresh mint leaves – (optional) garnish
- Whisk sugar and 4 yolks in small bowl. Gradually whisk in coconut milk and pineapple puree. Pour mixture into heavy saucepan; stir constantly over medium heat until custard thickens and coats back of spoon, about 6 minutes.
- Strain into bowl. Mix in rum. Cool and set aside. (Can be prepared day ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using).
- Roll each pastry sheet into 13-x-10-in. rectangle. Cut out 2 6-in. rounds from each sheet. Transfer rounds to baking sheets and pierce with fork.
- Whisk confectioners’ sugar with remaining yolk in bowl. Brush over dough. Bake at 325F until golden, about 15 minutes. Cool.
- Cook pineapple wedges
in large, nonstick skillet until golden brown, about 1 minute per
side. Arrange fruit atop pastry to cover completely.
- To serve, transfer tarts to plates. Spoon pineapple-coconut sauce around tarts; garnish with mint, if desired.