Ingredients for 12 lb.
Bread starter (recipe follows) -1 recipe
Warm water – 4 cups
Potatoes, peeled and cooked – 1 cup
Onions, diced, caramelized – 1 cup
Garlic, roasted, chopped – 1/4 cup
Dried herb blend, such as rosemary, oregano and thyme – 1/4 cup
Salt – 3 Tbsp.
Olive oil – 3/4 cup
High-protein bread flour -12 cups
Combine 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup active dry yeast and 4 cups warm water; let sit until yeast has dissolved and top is foamy. Blend in 2 cups high-protein bread flour; let mixture sit until bubbly and rising. Refrigerate until use.
- In mixer with paddle attachment, mix starter, warm water, potatoes, onions, garlic, herbs, salt and olive oil. Add flour 1 cup at a time. When dough thickens, change paddle to dough hook; add remaining flour 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from side of bowl.
- Knead dough by hand 5 to 10 minutes. Divide into 4 pieces and place in oiled containers. Cover and let rise 11/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough, cover and let rise again until doubled, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and shape into rounds. Refrigerate at least 12 hours and up to 36 hours. Remove from refrigerator at least 11/2 hours before use, place on floured surface and cover.
- Shape into 4 oiled sheet pans and proof 30 to 45 minutes. Bake at 425F for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.