Yield: 24 servings
Whipped cream, 22 oz.
Egg yolks, warm, 9
Whole eggs, 8
Sugar, 5 oz.
Water, 1 Tbsp.
Oolong tea, loose, 1/2 tsp.
Bittersweet chocolate, 15 oz.
Spiced caramel sauce, (recipe follows)
- Whip cream to soft peaks; set aside.
- Whip yolks and whole eggs on high speed to begin emulsifying; set aside.
- In saucepan, bring sugar and water to boil. Turn heat off and add tea; steep at least 4 minutes. Strain tea and boil to 252F.
- While whipping eggs, slowly pour syrup over; continue to whip until mixture is cool.
- Melt chocolate to 122F. Add half the whipped cream; mix well. Fold cool egg mixture into chocolate. Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Pour mousse into desired mold; allow to set, about 2 hours.
Spiced Caramel Sauce
Place 1 lb. sugar and 1 split vanilla bean over high heat. Stir continuously until caramel is light amber color. Add 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon. Whisk continuously while slowly adding 24 oz. warm heavy cream, a little at a time. Do not allow mixture to boil. Pass through chinois. Allow to cool.