The six basic steps involved in preparing for night audit are:
1. Posting room and tax charges
2. Assembling guest charges and payments
3. Reconciling departmental ﬁnancial activities
4. Reconciling the accounts receivable
5. Running the trial balance
6. Preparing the night audit report
The night auditor acts as a communication link between the guest and hotel operations during the 11:00p.m. to 7:00a.m. shift. This is a very important position within the front ofﬁce.
The night auditor has many responsibilities in addition to preparing the night audit report. This position also includes checking in and checking out guests who arrive or depart after 11:00p.m., processing reservations, performing the duties of security guard, monitoring ﬁre safety systems, acting as cashier for banquet functions, and performing the duties of manager on duty.