Yield: 4 portions
Cipollini (Italian onions), peeled – 5
Baby carrots, peeled – 6 oz.
Small zucchini – 2
Medium eggplant – 3/4
Red bell pepper, sliced, seeded – 1
Medium fennel bulb – 1
Garlic cloves, peeled, divided – 15
Olive oil, divided – 2/3 cup
Salt, pepper – to taste
Fresh sage leaves 4
Fresh marjoram leaves – 1 tsp.
Fresh basil leaves – 8
Fresh parsley, chopped – 1/4 cup
Almonds, peeled, toasted – 1/2 cup
Bread crumbs, preferably homemade – 1/2 cup
Unsalted butter – 2 Tbsp.
Orecchiette, uncooked – 1 lb.
Goat cheese – 7 oz.
- Cut onions, carrots, zucchini, eggplant, pepper and fennel into 1/2-in. dice.
- Toss vegetables and garlic cloves with 1/3 cup oil; season with salt and pepper. Spread on sheet pan and roast at 425F until lightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes; cool.
- Chop herbs and set aside. Grind almonds in food processor; combine with bread crumbs.
- Melt butter in saute pan; add bread crumbs. Cook until golden brown, stirring often; season with salt and set aside.
- Cook pasta al dente; drain and keep warm.
- In saucepan heat 3 Tbsp. olive oil. Add roasted vegetables and heat through.
- Mix vegetables, pasta, herbs, goat cheese and remaining olive oil; season with additional black pepper.
8.Divide into 4 portions; top with almond bread crumbs; serve immediately.