Yield: 8 portions
Large eggs, separated – 3
Large egg yolks – 5
Sugar – 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp.
Water – divided use 4 Tbsp.
Light corn syrup – 2 1/2 Tbsp.
Heavy cream – 2 cups
Coconut liqueur – 3 Tbsp.
Unsweetened coconut, shredded – 1/3 cup
Strawberries, raspberrie or other berries – 1 pint
Lemon, zest only, grated – 1
Toasted sweetened coconut – as needed
- In standing mixer, beat 8 yolks on medium speed. Meanwhile, place 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp. water and corn syrup in saucepan and heat until temperature reaches 243F. With mixer on, pour mixture over eggs, beating until yolks have doubled in volume.
- Beat cream and liqueur to soft peaks.
- Beat egg whites on low speed. Meanwhile, heat 1/2 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp. water in saucepan until temperature reaches 243F. While beating, drizzle over whites and beat until almost cool and soft peaks form.
- Fold unsweetened coconut into yolk mixture. Fold whites into whipped cream and then into yolk mixture.
- Fill pastry bag with soufflé mixture and pipe into eight 4 oz. ramekins lined around rims with aluminum foil (collar should exceed 1-in. about rim). Pipe to fill and freeze 6 hours or overnight.
- Place berries in saucepan with 2 Tbsp. sugar; heat 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in grated lemon.
- To serve, remove soufflé from ramekin and roll in toasted coconut. Place in shallow bowl; surround with fruit and its juices.