Yield: 100 portions (2 pita halves per portion)
Lean ground beef – 18 lb. 12 oz.
Onion, minced – 3 lb.
Bread crumbs – 1 lb. 12 oz.
Eggs, beaten – 20
Salt – 3 Tbsp.
Pepper – 8 tsp.
Bottled barbecue sauce – 2 gal.
Pita 100 – 3-oz. loaves
Lettuce, shredded – 17 lb.
Tomatoes, chopped – 14 lb.
- Combine beef, onion, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Shape into about 3/4-oz. ball to make 600. Place on ungreased sheet pans.
- Bake in 400F oven 15-20 minutes until fully cooked. Drain.
- Heat barbecue sauce. Add meatball. Keep warm until serving.
- To serve, cut pita loaf in half. Fill each pita half with 1 oz. each of lettuce and tomato. Top with 3 meatballs. Drizzle sauce over all.
Nutrition per portion: Calories, 579; fat, 16g (25% calories from fat); carbohydrate, 79g; protein, 29g; sodium, 1,540mg (can omit salt or use less sauce to reduce sodium).