What chef knife should I buy?

What chef knife should I buy?

The brand is not the issue, What we need is a tool to operate optimally in our kitchen for a lifetime. For this purpose ensuring that the sharp edge of the knife is 15 - 16 degrees is critical and that we use it on a cutting /chopping board which is non-metallic.

German knives : Heavy and thick, especially at the bolster (where the blade meets the handle), German knives can be used for everything from mincing garlic to cutting through chicken bones. They have thicker blades that tend to be curved to facilitate rocking and are made from softer steel, so you’ll need to sharpen frequently.

Japanese knives : Lightweight and razor-sharp, western-style Japanese knives tend to have a thinner blade and straighter edge than their German counterparts, making them ideal for precise tasks like cleanly slicing cucumbers or tuna. And because they’re crafted from the harder steel, they can typically go longer between sharpenings but may be prone to chipping or cracking.

When shopping for the best chef’s knife, it’s important to hold them and get a feel for them if you can. Here’s what to consider:
Handle : The first thing you’ll likely notice is the different handles and how they attach to the blade. Some are made of wood/wood composites, some of the plastic, and some of the metal. The type of material affects the weight of the knife, the feel of it, as well as the price.
Tang : Some knives also have a full tang, which means the blade runs through the handle and helps balance it.
Bolster : How the blade flows into the handle, aka the bolster, is another point of differentiation. Some are angled, while others are straight. We found that angled bolsters allow for a more protected grip, better for novices, while straight bolsters allow for a more controlled grip for chefs who like to pinch the heel of the blade.
At the end of the day, finding your go-to chef’s knife is largely based upon personal preference. What might feel, say, perfectly balanced to one cook may feel heavy to another. Our best words of advice: Look for a knife that feels like an extension of your hand and keep it sharp .

Find the best knives below

https://setupmyhotel.com/train-my-hotel-staff/chef-training/658-types-of-kitchen-knife.html