Public Area Cleaner

Good afternoon all,
Could you advise me please on how I calculate how many public area cleaners I need.
Thank you very much

1 Like

Thumb rules for determining housekeeping staff strength:

• Executive housekeeper: 1 for a 300 room property
  • Assistant housekeepers: 2 (1 per morning and evening shift)
  • Floor supervisors: 1 per 60 rooms for the morning shift; 1 for the evening shift; 1 for the night shift.
  • Public area supervisors: 1 for each shift
  • Linen/uniform room supervisors: 1
  • Room attendants: 1 per 16 rooms for the morning shift; 1 per 30 rooms for the evening shift (if turn down service is provided)
  • Linen and uniform room attendants: 2
  • Housemen: depends on the size of public areas and functions expected, but on average, 1 per 60 rooms
  • Desk attendants: 1 per shift
  • Tailors/upholsterers: 2 (may differ depending on the size of the hotel)
  • Horticulturist: 1
  • Head gardeners: 1 per 20 horticulturists
  • Gardeners: 1 per 4500 sq. ft of landscaped area

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Dear CottageHumble,

Thank you so much for the information, it is really helpful! I am still wondering about the public area cleaner as it will be a small hotel but quite spread out so I wonder how you define the number of people or would you do it with a task list first to assess the timing as you mentioned for the room attendant?

1 Like

@CarmenH I recon a task list should be used to determine the daily duties of a public area attendant, then we should get a rough idea of the amount of time need and also how many staff is required to perform this daily tasks.

As each hotel and their facilities and layout is unique there is no fixed formula like 1 public area attendant for a a certain square meter etc.

2 Likes