Chlidren Age - at Reservation or at Arrival?

When should we consider the Children age for rate calculation? At the time of reservation of on the date of arrival?

Its seems to be a very silly question :slight_smile: :slight_smile: But it has caused a real problem for a guest who made booking On 01-Jan-2019 for a Double Room +1 chld " child while making reservation was 10 years " and was consider as a child.

The issue happened when the guest arrived on 20/June/2019, When they arrived the child already was 11 years and should have been considered as a Adult “as per the contract with the agent the child is only till 10 yrs”. At the hotel we took the age when the reservation made and the Guest arrived and paid for DBL + Child only. But after checkout the Agent want to charge the guest for the 3 full adult including the child!!!

The problem happened with the Guest and agent because they want to collect the difference to give to the hotel and take commission the same.

Now the question is “When should we consider the Children age for rate calculation? At the time of reservation of on the date of arrival?” What is the standard practice followed by reservations or hotels…

1 Like

What I think is this is one of a odd case and to be treated as per the guest satisfaction.

Normal case the child age is taken at the time of reservation and not at the at the time of arrival.

I also second to @tin1982 the age of child is taken at the time of reservation and not at the time of arrival.

Moreover you do not want to have a dissatisfied guest for such small issues!!

Good afternoon @CottageHumble,
Children’s age must be considered when making the reservation, as this may vary the rate and you don’t want any last-minute surprises for the guests.

What age will the child be during the stay (upon check-in)? That is what should be charged and valid (as I can see that is how the agency was working), not the age when making the reservation.

At check-in, documentation is requested therefore the age is easy to check.

Having clear policies stated everywhere in regards to this can avoid future issues. Some booking engines request the date of birth of the child which will help completely avoid this issue and calculate rates automatically.

Hope the comment helped with your issue.

Wishing you the best.

With kind regards,

D. Turner