A consommé is a type of clear soup made from richly flavored stock, or bouillon that has been clarified, a process that uses egg whites to remove fat and sediment called ‘raft’.
Ingredients for 2. litres
- Separate the egg whites and keep.
- Cut brunoise of onions, leeks, celery and carrots.
- Mix the egg white, brunoise of vegetable with the chicken mince.
- Add salt, peppercorns and bay leaf to the mince.
- Mix the chicken mince in the cold chicken stock and put on fire.
- Keep stirring continuously, to prevent the raft from sticking to the bottom & sides.
- Once the stock has come to a boil, do not stir again. Reduce to a simmer.
- Puncture a hole in the center of the raft for the stock to circulate through and clarify
- Remove the raft once all impurities are accumulated. Serve the clear soup - consomme.