Any one know about the whiskey,types,process,with examples
1.Scotch Whisky - malt whisky or grain whisky, made in Scotland is called Scotch whisky
All Scotch whisky was originally made from malted barley. Typically single malt Scotch whisky is double distilled in distinctive copper pot stills.
Process - Fermentation and Distillation by using malted barley (10-20%) and other non-malted cereals like maize or wheat.
.Eg : 1.Glenfiddich,2. Glenlivet,3. Macallan
2. Irish Whiskey - whiskey made on the island of Ireland is called Irish whiskey. The word ‘whiskey’ comes from the Irish ‘uisce beatha’, meaning “water of life”.
Process - Malted barley, distilled in pot stills.
Eg. : 1. Teeling · 2. Jameson · 3. Bushmills · 4. Redbreast · 5. Green Spot · 6. Writers Tears ·
3. Canadian Whisky - typically blends of whiskies made from a single grain, principally corn and rye, but also sometimes wheat or barley
Process - each grain is usually fermented, distilled and aged separately then combined.
Eg. : 1 Forty Creek Barrel Select Whisky 2. Collingwood Select Canadian Whisky 3. Canadian Club 4. Caribou Crossing 5. Crown Royal 6. Canadian Mist
4. Bourbon Whiskey - type of American whiskey,
Process - barrel-aged , fermented & distilled spirit made primarily from corn, the “mash bill” must have minimum 51% of corn.
Eg : 1 · Jim Beam 2.Wild Turkey ·3. Elijah Craig ·4. Four Roses ·5. Michter’s ·6. Old Forester 7. Kn-ob Creek
5. Rye Whiskey - an American or Canadian whiskey distilled from at least 51% rye. The other ingredients in the mash are usually corn and malted barley.
Process – Distillation of mash
Eg : 1. Wild Turkey Rye ·2. Kn-ob Creek Rye · 3. Old Overholt ·4. Rittenhouse ·5. Pikesville ·
6. Japanese Whisky – there is no difference in the technical process of making Japanese whisky and Scotch whiskey .
Process - Fermentation and Distillation by using malted barley. Japanese producers distill a mash of malted barley or fermented grain in traditional or Coffey stills, and then the spirit is aged in oak barrels for a minimum of three years
Eg : 1. Yamazaki · 2. Hakushu · 3. Hibiki · 4. Yoichi · 5. Miyagikyo · 6. Nikka · 7. Kirin · 8. Chichibu.
7. Tennessee Whiskey - spirit that is distilled in Tennessee from at least 51 percent corn, is aged in new charred oak barrels and has undergone the ”Lincoln County process” ,- filtering the new-make spirit through layers of charcoal before barreling , which gives the whiskey its unique character of charcoal mellowing.
Process - barrel-aged , fermented & distilled spirit made primarily from corn, the “mash bill” must have minimum 51% of corn. Same process as bourbon, but have to undergo - Lincoln County process.
Eg : 1.Jack Daniel’s,2. George Dickel,3. Davidson Reserve
8. Blended Whiskey – blending different types of whiskeys. It is a product made by mixing one or more higher-quality straight or single malt whiskey with less expensive spirits and other ingredients.
Process - blending different types of whiskeys and sometimes neutral grain spirits, colorings and flavorings.
Eg : 1. Chivas Regal .2.Monkey Shoulder. 3. Johnnie Walker.4.Big Peat.5. Cutty Sark. 6. Famous Grouse.7. Grant’s 8.Vat 69.
9. Malt whiskey & Single malt whiskey - Malt whisky is whisky made from a fermented mash consisting primarily of malted barley. If the product is made exclusively at a single distillery, it is typically called a single malt whisky. Malt & Single malt are mostly Scotch or Irish whiskey. American whiskeys are mostly grain whiskeys.
In brief :
Scotch has similar ingredients (mostly barley) to Irish whiskey, but it is often dried over a peat fire.(minimum 30% of malted barley & 30% of non-malted barley) which gives scotch a fuller, heavier taste. Irish whisky on other hand comes from unmalted barley and is renowned for its smooth flavor with hint of vanilla.
Canadian whisky is commonly made with a blend from wheat, corn, barley and rye.
Bourbon is made mainly with corn.(minimum 51% corn),this was first produced in Kentucky, U.S
Rye whisky is made mainly with rye as per American law (must be minimum 51% rye)
There is no difference in the technical process of making Japanese whisky and Scotch whiskey. Scotch is produced in Scotland, whereas Japanese whisky is produced in Japan.
Tennessee whiskeys are Bourbon whiskeys which undergo – ‘Lincoln County process’
Hope the above helps your query @Sourabh
thank you @samantha1
I wonder if some one could give me details of different varieties of tea to display in our executive lounge and which brand is suggested
This information is helpful for me and I am very excited to read this one