Housekeeping Job Interview Questions and Answers
Housekeeping (HK) Interview Questions and Answers for freshers, hotel management students and experienced HK candidates. Below House Keeping (HK) questions and answers cover common, important general, basic, situational, behavioural and experience-based interview questions for HK Managers, HK Executives, HK Floor Supervisors, HK Floor attendants / Room Boys, HK Desk Control Supervisors, HK Laundry / Linen Attendants.
! Tip: Try to know as many details as possible about the hotel/company before you attend the interview.
1. Why did you join the hotel industry?
Hospitality offers a job that changes all the time. It is a fast-paced environment where you are doing varied tasks each day.
You are on your feet and moving around a lot which helps you think, feel, and react better.
2. Why did you choose House Keeping?
I have attended to all detail and have exceptional cleaning skills which make me comfortable while performing different kinds of cleaning and sanitization and also I do have the ability to perform minor repair and maintenance tasks.
I believe this is the right place where I fit in and have a great scope for my career.
3. Why are you interested in this opportunity?
Mention that you have heard about the company through my – Friends/Colleagues/media.
You know about the company’s goodwill (eg. If there were any incidents or known incidents of the past about the company) and you wish to be a part of their esteemed organization.
It’s a different exposure and you want to take up the new challenge.
4. What are your hobbies and Interest?
Traveling, Gym, music, painting, games, sports, cooking, gardening, social service, volunteering, etc.
5. What are your strengths?
Analytical thinking, Problem-solving, Task prioritization, Creative thinking, Dedication and enthusiasm, Ability to learn from mistakes, quick learner.
6. What is your weakness?
I have trouble saying “no.”, I sometimes lack confidence, I have a hard time letting goes of a task, I focus too much on the details.
7. Why do you want to leave your current job?
I love my current workplace, but I feel that my work is not as challenging as I want it to be.
8. Do you like working in a team?
I love teamwork. I believe that it is very important to work with other people, as you can get the job done quickly, and you learn from your teammates too.
9. Do you think communication is important for a housekeeper? Why?
Communication is extremely important when working as a housekeeper. This is because one needs to be able to take and follow instructions effectively.
Proper and effective communication is very essential in order to understand and deliver information quickly and accurately.
10. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I am working hard to polish my leadership skills, within the next 5 years, I hope to lead a great team.
Every day is a new learning experience & learning is a never-ending process.
In the near future, I hope to climb up the ladder to the position of a housekeeping Supervisor / In-charge / Manager
11. How do you handle a client who is angry or upset and dissatisfied with your work?
If a guest is not happy with my work, I apologize and then work on improving my services.
I always try my best to understand the client’s housekeeping requirements fully and to deliver a high standard of housekeeping, and clients are generally happy with my work.
12. How would you calm down a demanding customer?
I do not believe in arguing – so I will listen to what he or she has to say first without interrupting.
When I know for sure what is bothering him or her, I will try to look for a solution that satisfies the customer and is also within the policies and procedures of the company.
13. How would you react if you see misconduct or inappropriate behaviour in a fellow worker? Will you hide it from the management?
I will report it immediately to the supervisor since I would not want the facility or the management to suffer due to an employee’s indiscretion.
14. Tell me about a time you went beyond the regular limits to serve a guest?
Once a guest who stayed with us enquired about the availability of a product and where to buy.
The guest tried to purchase and failed to get. Unfortunately, that was a regional product and was not available in the local market.
Since the guest was staying with us for 5 days, I made an arrangement to get the product from a particular region.
With the permission of my management I handed over this to guests which was a great surprise and the guest was so happy about the service.
15. How many rooms should a housekeeper clean per day?
On average, housekeepers clean 13 to 15 rooms a day.
16. How much time is required to clean a standard room?
25 to 35 mins
17. What is the standard bed-making time?
18. Name 4 types of bed used in hotels?
Standard double, Queen, King, Twin
19. What Are Key Tasks For Housekeeping?
Cleaning as designated, changing linens, damp dusting horizontal surfaces, vents, trash removal, cleaning/scouring sinks, mopping, vacuuming carpets, and washing windows, door frames and other vertical surfaces
20. Whats Your Biggest Achievement in your career So Far?
I was once asked to clean and prepare 15 bedrooms for a delegation of foreign guests within a short time period of 5 hours!
Without enlisting help from anyone, I managed to do the needful within the timeline provided, without any complaint from any guest who checked into those rooms!
21. Tell Us Something About Your Housekeeping Duties In Your Previous Role?
Apart from regular dusting and mopping, I was required to make beds, change linen, deliver and retrieve items to patients, replenish supplies, and prepare rooms.
Additionally, I was responsible for handling some minor repair and maintenance tasks such as changing bulbs and replacing curtain rods.
22. What Is Your Prime Chemical Safety Concern In Your Job?
It is important to understand the portions in which chemicals need to be mixed and their safe use. This is for both our safety and that of the guests.
My prime concern is that housekeeping personnel should be trained in mixing and using hazardous materials properly.
23. How Would You Handle An Altercation Between Two Team Members?
I always make it a point to listen to both sides of the story before making a decision of what is right and what isn’t.
I try not to let an altercation affect their work or have a negative effect on guests to whom we have to show a united front.
24. What are the standard hotel toiletries ?
One small shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, bath/shower gel, facial soap, and body soap.
25. What does a dental kit have?
Tooth brush and toothpaste.
26. What do mean by guest loan item? Give an example.
The equipment which a guest needs commonly and given to the guest on request. Housekeeping is responsible for making an inventory for this.
They need to track the items to make sure that they are returned back to them. Eg. Iron board.
27. What do u mean by public area in a hotel? Name a few public areas.
The public area in the hotel comprises the ‘front of the house’ such as entrance, lobbies, lounges, the front desk, guest corridors, banquet halls, bars, elevators, leisure area like swimming pools, spa, health club.
28. Can you explain the basic responsibilities of a desk control supervisor?
Good knowledge of Housekeeping operations.
Responsible for Departmental keys and guest room master cards.
Responsible for all calls coming to the Desk and to convey the right message to the right person.
Maintaining records related to day to day operations of Housekeeping.
Follow up with concerned departments in case of guest requests/ complaints.
29. What is the 7 step cleaning process?
Emptying the trash; high area dusting; sanitizing and spot cleaning; restocking supplies; cleaning the bathrooms; mopping the floors; and hand hygiene and inspection.
30. What's the difference between hygiene and sanitation?
Hygiene is how well you take care of yourself. If you have good hygiene, you take regular showers, brush your teeth a lot, wash your hair, etc.
Sanitation is to keep something clean and germ-free. Hand sanitizer, for example, kills the germs on your hands
31. Whats is the size of the king bed?
78 x 80 Inches , 198.12 X 203.2 cms.
32. What is TASKI R3 / Diversey R3 used for?
Glass & mirror cleaning.
33. What is TASKI R6 / Diversey R6 used for?
Heavy-duty toilet bowl/urinal cleaner for the removal of limescale & stains.
34. What is meant by “buffing”?
35. What is the difference between briefing & debriefing??
Briefing is the prior information/direction given about the day’s duty before the mission.
Debriefing means, a meeting to brief/question about a completed mission?
36. Name 4 types of pillow used in hotels?
Down, Latex, Feather, Memory foam, Synthetic polyester pillow.
37. If a guest is allergic to dust, which pillow is ideal to provide?
Synthetic polyester pillows.
38. Which chemical is used to descale an electric kettle?
TASKI R8 / Diversey R8.
39. What is the difference between the master key & grand master key?
Master key opens all room on one floor where as grandmaster key opens all rooms of the hotel.
40. What is a Murphy bed?
41. What's the size of a twin bed?
39 x 76 inches / 99.06 X 193.04 cms.
42. Suppose DND is – do not disturb, what does DNCO stand for? For what situation is this used – explain?
“Did not check out”. The guest made arrangements to settle his or her account (and thus is not a skipper), but has left without informing the front office.
Due out: The room is expected to become vacant after the following day’s checkout time.
43. How do u prepare to clean an occupied guestroom, when a guest is not there?
Open the door wide and position your cart/trolley in front of the door with shelves facing the door.
Ventilate the room by opening windows, drawn curtains.
Remove any soil room service trays.
Switched on the electric appliance to make sure it is working.
44. Whats a turndown service?
Turndown service refers to the practice of staff entering a guest’s room and “turning down” the bed linen of the bed in the room, preparing the bed for use. > Some hotels have more elaborate turndown services, such as bed-time stories for children and cocktails served to couples.
45. What should be the ideal temperature of mini bar fridge?
4.5 to 5 degree Celsius / 40 Fahrenheit.
46. A sellable guest room should be set at what temperature?
47. How long should a hotel keep “ lost & found” items??
48. What is the full form of DND?
Do not disturb.
49. What is OOO??
Out of order.
50. How many sets of uniforms should be provided to hotel staff?
Double: 3 sets.
51. What is the size of a queen bed?
Quad: 60 X 80 inch / 152.4 X 203.2 cms.
52. What is the size of face towel?
Queen: 30x30 cm / 12"x12".
53. What is the size of a hand towel?
King: 50x70 cm / 20"x28".
54. What is a linen chute?
A passage in the form of a tunnel for sending soiled linen from the floor pantries of all floors to a central place near the laundry, from where it can be collected by the laundry staff.
55. Whats a Dutch wife?
Double-double: Another term used for sewing kit provided as guest amenity.
56. What Points Are Considered In Hotel Industry When Selecting A Candidate?
Hospitality knowledge, Personal Hygiene and Grooming, Physical attributes, Work-related attributes, Social skills.
57. What Are The Different Kinds Of Linens Used In Hotel Industry?
Moulton, Table cloth, slip cloth.
58. What do mean by Moulton?
it is a thick fabric with lint laid on the surface of the table with a pin underneath.
It is absorbent, has a smooth surface, and is sound resistant. It is used to hold tablecloths.
59. What is a slip cloth?
Slip clothes are laid over the table on top of tablecloths. Its protects tablecloth from spillage.
60. Do u mean by the term “horticulture” in a hotel?
The section of housekeeping takes care of landscaping, indoor plants, and flower arrangements are referred to as horticulture in a hotel.
61. What are adjoining rooms?
Rooms which are side by side are called adjoining rooms.
62. What are interconnecting rooms?
Rooms which are next to each other and have a door inside which connects both the room from inside are called interconnecting rooms.
63. What do you mean by room status? Name the common room status code?
The most commonly used room status codes are occupied, vacant, dirty, clean, ready, and out of order.
64. What are two words that you would use to describe yourself?
Sincere & Punctual.
65. Do you enjoy working as part of a team?
Yes, I do enjoy working as a team. I believe working as a team helps to complete the job in lesser time.
66. If you have a problem at work, how do you handle it?
I will address it to the concerned supervisor about the particular problem so as to find a solution and solve the problem.
67. Have you ever disagreed with your supervisor about a policy or situation? What did you do?
I have never disagreed with my supervisor so far.
However, if such a situation arises, I will address it to him and will find a suitable way to resolve the situation.
I will face the situation within the policy of the hotel.
68. What is the chemical used to wash in dry cleaning?
Tetrachloroethylene, also known as perchloroethylene, or perc is the predominant solvent used for dry cleaning.
69. What is an employee handbook?
An employee handbook is a book given to employees by an employer.
The employee handbook can be used to bring together employment and job-related information which employees need to know.
70. What is the size of a standard pillow?
20” x 26” – 51 x 66 cms.
71. What is the size of a King size pillow?
20” x 36” – 51 x 92 cms.
72. What do u mean by par stock in housekeeping? give example?
A par is a minimum stock of linen or uniform required to meet the daily demands of a hotel so as to ensure a smooth circulation
73. Expand OPEX and CAPEX?
Opex – Operational expense, Capex – Capital expense.
74. Name 4 sub-departments of housekeeping?
Laundry, Linen room, Tailoring, Flower shop
75. What is the ideal time to clean the guest corridor?
It should be carried out when the guest’s movement is minimum.
Night and early morning are usually the best convenient time.
76. What's the ideal time to clean the public area floor?
Night shift cleans all public areas floors and also when it’s necessary during the day.
77. How do you answer a call in the housekeeping desk?
Answer within 3 rings, greet by the time of the day, department, this is …name… how may I assist you …Mr./Ms.(guest name if known)
78. How many times do you service a guest room in a day on a routine basis?
2 times on a routine basis and additionally on guest request.
79. What is the size of a twin mattress?
39 x 75 inch.
80. Mention the mattress size of king & California king?
King – 76 x 80 inch , California king – 72 x 84 inch.
81. Name the types of towels used in the guest room?
Hand towel, Bath towel, Face towel.
82. What is the purpose of a bath mat?
A mat for a person to stand on after getting out of a bath is called a bathmat.
83. What is WC in the toilet?
Water closet / Western commode.
84. What should be used to knock on the door of an occupied guest room, if there is no calling bell?
Use knuckles to knock on the door
85. How many times should be knocked with knuckles, on the guest door, before calling out “housekeeping?
3 times should be knocked
86. What is the turndown service time in a hotel?
6 pm to 9 pm.
87. How many types of chemicals are used for cleaning the guest room – TASKI / Diversey?
R1 to R9 – 9 types of chemicals.
88. How to dilute TASKI R1 for cleaning. How many ml to use in 1 ltr of water?
20 ml in 1 ltr for cleaning.
89. How many ml of TASKI R1 should be used for sanitizing?
50 ml. for sanitizing.
90. Where are you supposed to keep the folded bedcover on turndown service?
In the luggage rack drawer.
91. Where are you suppose to keep the valuable items received as lost and found?
Valuable items should be kept in a safe deposit locker.
92. Will you accept a gift offered by your guest? Explain?
No. Gifts are not accepted by any hotel staff over the world, because the hotel considers if staffs started accepting the gift, then the service offered to guest may not be equal/ guests won’t be treated equally.
93. Can a hotel employee date a guest? Explain?
No. hotel employees are not allowed to keep intimate relations with guests.
94. Do you know what is the most stolen item in a hotel?
Towels are the most common item stolen from hotel rooms.
95. Do hotels charge if they come to know the guest have taken the bible while vacating?
No. Bible is not charged to guests.
96. In Your Opinion, What Is The Most Important Quality Of A room attendant?
A room attendant needs to be able to work in a thorough and detail-oriented manner.
A speck of dust here or there, or a spot on the floor can leave a very bad impression on guests, Thoroughness is important in all cleaning and maintenance work.
97. Do you think it’s necessary to be Organized yourself in your position?
Extremely. If one is not organized, there is no way one can coordinate even the simplest of housekeeping tasks.
98. What is a cabana room?
A cabana is a small, sometimes portable changing room near a swimming pool or beach.
99. Explain the front of the house and back of the house?
Front of the house – staff who are directly in contact with the guest for providing service.
Back of the house- staff who are not directly involved in providing service. Guests rarely interact with them.
100. What is the Moment of Truth?
It is the actual time when guest interacts with service staff.
It is the moment of contact when no management has control.
101. What's your salary expectation?
Say – you are flexible, you can elaborate by saying - My salary expectations are in line with my experience and qualifications.
If this is the right job for me, I’m sure we can come to an agreement on salary.